David W. Staple, J.D., Ph.D.
David Staple focuses his patent practice on U.S. and international patent prosecution, post-issuance proceedings and litigation, as well as counseling clients on issues involving freedom-to-operate, patentability, infringement, validity, and strategic portfolio management. Dr. Staple has experience in a broad range of technical areas, particularly within the life sciences, biotechnology, chemistry, materials sciences, pharmaceuticals, drug delivery, molecular diagnostics, medical devices, imaging, research tools, and the mechanical arts.
Dr. Staple also assists clients in filing and prosecuting trademark applications, and counsels clients on various U.S. and international trademark issues.
Shareholder, Casimir Jones, S.C., 2017 to present
Associate, Casimir Jones, S.C., 2013 to 2016
Registered Patent Agent, Casimir Jones, S.C., 2010 to 2013
Technology Specialist, Casimir Jones, S.C., 2008 to 2009
Postdoctoral Researcher, UC-Santa Cruz, 2006-2008
Graduate Researcher, UW-Madison, 2001-2006
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2013
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ph.D., Biochemistry, 2006
Northern Michigan University, B.S., Biochemistry, 2000
State Bar of Wisconsin
United States Patent and Trademark Office
1. Cornish P.V., Ermolenko D.N., Staple D.W., Hoang L., Hickerson R.P., Noller H.F., Ha T. Following movement of the L1 stalk between three functional states in single ribosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 106(8):2571-6 (2009).
2. Staple, D. W., Venditti, V., Elson-Schwab, L., Tor, Y., Butcher, S. E. Guanidino neomycin B recognition of an HIV-1 RNA helix. ChemBioChem 4, 93-102 (2008).
3. Marcheschi, R.J., Staple, D.W., Butcher, S.E. Programmed ribosomal frameshifting in SIV is induced by a highly structured RNA stem-loop. J Mol Biol 373, 652-63 (2007).
4. Staple, D. W. & Butcher S. E. Pseudoknots: RNA structures with diverse functions. PLoS 3, 956-9 (2005).
5. Staple, D. W. & Butcher S. E. Solution structure and thermodynamic investigation of the HIV-1 frameshift inducing element. J Mol Biol 349, 1011-23 (2005).
6. Staple, D. W. & Butcher, S. E. Solution structure of the HIV-1 frameshift inducing stem-loop RNA. Nucleic Acids Res 31, 4326-31 (2003).